I was reading an article in the current TIME magazine about California trying to control mosquito breeding by letting loose sterile male mosquitoes in millions. I was amused and was about to send a tweet as given below:

“California is letting lose 20 million sterile mosquitoes to control their spread. Those are useless anyway and so is the money wasted on them. A handful of non-sterile can procreate millions more in due course. Or have they found out lady mosquitoes don't mate more than once or not at all with another?”
Rohan, my grandson, was passing by and I called him out and showed him the news item in the TIME and my comment on it and asked for his comment.
He said he was not sure I was right. He asked me further: Did you check the mating habits of mosquitoes? Scientists have done this, and they should know better.

On checking, I find female mosquitoes mate once in their lifetime and after storing the sperm keep on laying eggs during the rest of their about one year life!

Rohan can read almost anything on any subject, absorb the content and comment or review it! That is my grandson for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time the Dingells were let go: